Chris Boot wrote:
Hi,

If I remember correctly, you'll have a hard time installing the database unless you can run the older version of Java: the NetCA that runs to create your database and setup your tnsnames.ora file requires JDK 1.1 and won't work on any newer version (it will complain about permissions or something). Unless you really have to stick with Gentoo, I would recommend going to an older version of some other distro (with a compatible libc), or upgrading to Database 10g. That being said I have managed to install DB 9i on Gentoo, but only after installing gcc 2.95, compiling an older glibc somewhere else without NPTL, and I still had to build my tnsnames.ora manually.

Good luck!

Chris

PS: I'm doing an internship at Oracle, if that's any help.

Frank Schafer wrote:

Hi,

did you check all the Oracle prerequisites? I had very similar behaviour
on a machine with insufficient amount of (physical) memory.

Regards
Frank

PS: You could try installing via ``automatic response file'' avoiding
the ``Universal Installer'' which is (hmm, Java) simply a ressource
eater.