On Tuesday 01 March 2005 05:18, Willie Wong wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 28, 2005 at 09:50:56PM -0500, Jerry McBride wrote:

> You guys are really making me freak out about my Maxtor harddrive.
> How exactly does SMART work? I had that working in one of the IBM
> thinkpads before, but it only gave me "warning" on boot-time when the
> drive failed. Is there anyway to tell if the harddrive is failing in real
> time?

Smart checks some parameters of operations, plus there are some tests.  If one
of this parameters grow above a certain treshould, a warning is spilled.

SMART will most probably not save you from sudden harddisk death, but can warn
you about a harddisk going to be weak and dying soon.

So, it is a good thing. Activate smart in the bios, install smartmontools and
let smartd run.

> PS. Here in another part of Jersey, we got a miserable 3 inches. Not
> enough to cancel school, but enough to make life miserable.

and here in the Harz, wie have ~50cm ;)