Hi!

VMware does not entirely follow the Gentoo
way. /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware is the start/stop script for VMware
(/opt/vmware/bin/vmware relies on that one). A tip: whenever VMware
think's it has not been configured correctly it creates a
file /etc/vmware/not_configured. vmware-config.pl deletes that file
after a successful configuration. Problem is: sometimes VMware does have
troubles creating two devices: /dev/vmnet0 and /dev/vmnet8. In that case
you'll get a missconfiguration error over and over again - though you
actually didn't change anything. So I created a little script that helps
Vmware:

#!/bin/bash
sudo mknod /dev/vmnet0 c 119 0 > /dev/null 2>&1
sudo mknod /dev/vmnet8 c 119 8 > /dev/null 2>&1
sudo rm /etc/vmware/not_configured > /dev/null 2>&1
sudo /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware start
vmware
sudo /etc/vmware/init.d/vmware stop

Regards

   spox

Am Dienstag, den 01.03.2005, 15:19 +0100 schrieb {Zecke}:
> Hi All! Im trying to manually install VMware Workstation for Linux,
> when I unpack the source there is a  vmware-install.pl that I
> execute....then in the second question:
>
> " What is the directory that contains the init directories (rc0.d/ to
> rc6.d/)? "
>
> Argh, Gentoo uses rc-update to manage the init-scripts, so what can I put
> here??
> I tryed /etc/init.d, /etc/, /etc/runlevels, but it doesn't work...here
> is the output:
>
> "The path "/etc/init.d" is a directory which does not contain a rc0.d
> directory."
>
> Obvious!
>
> Please Help!!

Mit freundlichen Grüßen