Marko Kocic wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 15:54:34 +0000, Neil Bothwick <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 10:38:18 -0500, Mike Turcotte wrote:

I am fairly new to Gentoo and portage. How long are you expecting it to
take before the new kernel is 'emergable'?
development-sources-2.6.11, the vanilla 2.6.11 kernel, is already in
Portage. I expect gentoo-dev-sources will be upgraded by tomorrow.

Both development-sources-2.6.11 and vanilla-sources-2.6.11 are both listed on packages.gentoo.org. Could someone explain me what's the difference between them?

To the best of my knowlege, none; afaik, this relates to the transition between the 2004.3 profile (under which development-sources is the 2.6 series kernel from kernel.org, and vanilla-sources is the 'default' 2.4 series kernel), and the forthcoming 2005.0 profile (under which the 2.6 kernel becomes default, so vanilla-sources refers to the 2.6-series kernel from kerne.org, and development-sources... goes away, I guess, unless it becomes a reference to *real* development sources, like 2.7/2.8).

So I would imagine that they both point to the same kernel, but this is a transitional phase until the 2005.0 profile is actually released.

Corrections gratefully accepted, but I think that's how it's working atm.

Holly