On Tue, Mar 01, 2005 at 07:56:47PM +0000, Julien Cayzac wrote:
> Has anyone tried HFS on an intel box, as an alternative to the
> ext3/reiser/jfs/xfs mess?

I'm assuming you're talking about Macintosh HFS/HFS+.  I've read/written
slices on PPC, and used it to read a firewire drive on Intel.

You're going to have a heck of a time getting it to work, if it'd work
at all.

1.  You'll need an installer kernel that supports it natively, or
you'll have to install to another kind of FS, rebuild your kernel, then
copy the data over.
2.  The kernel will need to reside on a /boot partition that is
something grub can read.  Grub can do EXT2/3, Reiser3, JFS, XFS, and FFS
(maybe vfat, too?).
3.  The HFS+ code has only been stable for a short time, so I'm not sure
how much I trust it for full-time usage.

I'd say just go with JFS.  It's fast, reliable, and is a good all-around
performer.  XFS is also very reliable, but you incur some overhead with
it.  XFS is, however, very good if you're going to be working with large
files often.  ReiserFS has bitten me twice (no, it wasn't
hardware-related...both drives where the FS failed still work
flawlessly with other FSes on them), so I don't use it at all anymore.

--
S. Bergeron, [EMAIL PROTECTED]