> I don't have a solution for you unfortunately.
>
> I've been living with it like an on/off switch. Sometimes it works,
> sometimes not. (This is on a D600 laptop)

Yeah, well, mute works.

I noticed a key in gconf. It's something like
/apps/panel/profiles/default/applet.4/preferences/channel (or
something to that effect, I have no idea what it actually is -- it's
the applet's preferences area under the panel settings thing). Any
clues as to what kind of values it takes? It defaults to 0, so I tried
1 (which would point to PCM on the OSS and ALSA mixer). No dice
(doesn't make PCM go up or down, but doesn't make the master work
either).

--
"Microsoft is a lot better at making money than it is at making good
operating systems."