Hi List-

I'm new to video in linux, but I've read quite alot in getting up to
speed and in trying to solve this problem myself.  Among others, I have
read Documentation/video4linux/bttv/* for clues to solving this problem.

I'm trying to setup zoneminder in Gentoo (installed from 2004.3 liveCD
but updated to current portage software) and hitting a brick wall when
it comes to camera setup and usage.

Zoneminder docs refer the reader to xawtv for setting up the camera
itself, and once the camera is set up as desired, recommend taking the
camera configuration settings from there into zoneminder.

I believe I have all the driver software built into my kernel or as
modules (I think I put everything necessary in the kernel itself, but
where I was uncertain, I built modules), but I'm not getting any signal
or image from xawtv or tvtime.  There are probably some other related
applications for doing the same thing that might be better low-level
troubleshooting tools.  Can anyone recommend anything like that?

The bottom line is that I'm not getting any camera image showing up in
anything in Gentoo.

In this box, I have Gentoo installed alongside a sort-of embedded linux
system that came pre-installed, and I do get an image using this
hardware and the "embedded" OS and software.  It's running a redhat 2.4
kernel and some black-box software that came with the box, so I'm sure
that the card and other hardware inside the box are all ok.  I've spent
quite awhile studying this black-box software for clues on how it's done
there, but I'm not coming up with anything earth-shattering.  Of
particular note are the modules installed with this black-box.  Relevant
output from lsmod is:
bttv                  103564  10
video-buf              10240   0  [bttv]
btcx-risc               2168   0  [bttv]
videodev                3808  16  [bttv]
v4l2-common             2528   0  [bttv]

dmesg output from this embedded kernel looks very similar to mine,
below.

I'm pretty sure I have all this built directly into my kernel (see
kernel .config below).

Also, when I plug the RCA-type cable from the camera into the input plug
on a television set, I do see the camera image on the TV, so again, I
know the camera itself is working.

Can someone suggest some troubleshooting options at this point?

Below, I've tried to include all of the details related to this issue:

uname -a:
Linux myhost 2.6.10-gentoo-r6-9 #1 Wed Mar 2 10:26:03 EST 2005 i686
Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 2.40GHz GenuineIntel GNU/Linux

relevant dmesg output:
Linux video capture interface: v1.00
bttv: driver version 0.9.15 loaded
bttv: using 8 buffers with 2080k (520 pages) each for capture
bttv: Bt8xx card found (0).
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:03:0c.0[A] -> GSI 21 (level, low) -> IRQ 21
bttv0: Bt878 (rev 17) at 0000:03:0c.0, irq: 21, latency: 32, mmio:
0xe2100000
bttv0: using:  *** UNKNOWN/GENERIC ***  [card=0,autodetected]
bttv0: gpio: en=00000000, out=00000000 in=000fffff [init]
bttv0: using tuner=-1
bttv0: registered device video0
bttv0: registered device vbi0
====
nvidia: module license 'NVIDIA' taints kernel.
ACPI: PCI interrupt 0000:01:00.0[A] -> GSI 16 (level, low) -> IRQ 16
NVRM: loading NVIDIA Linux x86 NVIDIA Kernel Module  1.0-6111  Tue Jul
27 07:55:38 PDT 2004
Linux agpgart interface v0.100 (c) Dave Jones

relevant lspci output:
0000:00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 82801DB/DBL/DBM
(ICH4/ICH4-L/ICH4-M) SMBus Controller (rev 02)
0000:01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18
[GeForce4 MX 4000 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
0000:03:0c.0 Multimedia video controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878
Video Capture (rev 11)
0000:03:0c.1 Multimedia controller: Brooktree Corporation Bt878 Audio
Capture (rev 11)

application versions:
xawtv-3.94-r1
tvtime-0.9.12
zoneminder-1.20.1
xorg-x11-6.8.2
nvidia-kernel-1.0.6111-r3
nvidia-glx-1.0.6111-r1

relevant kernel .config settings:

Aside from the help available in the make menuconfig process for it...
---------------
CONFIG_VIDEO_BT848:
Support for BT848 based frame grabber/overlay boards. This includes the
Miro, Hauppauge and STB boards. Please read the material in
<file:Documentation/video4linux/bttv/> for more information.  If you say
Y or M here, you need to say Y or M to "I2C support" and "I2C
bit-banging interfaces" in the character device section.  To compile
this driver as a module, choose M here: the module will be called bttv.
----------------
...what, if anything do I need to do with I2C?

#
# Multimedia devices
#
CONFIG_VIDEO_DEV=y