I believe that they are the default settings even after customization, /etc/make.conf just overrides them. If you didn't have USE flags in there, than nothing would be declared, but there are default USE flags put into use, and you can do your customization based on them (disabling what Gentoo has enabled in the profile), etc.

Dave Nebinger wrote:
Take a look at the contents of /etc/make.profile.  There's really not much
in there outside of (from what I can see) files containing use flags and
package masks.

If I had to venture a guess, I'd say it was the default values used to
construct the base system from your initial install, whether 2004.3 or
2005.1.

As all of these files are typically changed as your gentoo system becomes
customized (i.e. you edit your /etc/make.conf and files in /etc/portage), I
doubt these are used for much.

The real question is why do you care what profile your gentoo system was
built from?  If you've been doing the standard "emerge --sync" and "emerge
-uD world", you've already got a system that's beyond whatever the initial
2005.1 profile represents.