> | Vim.  Vim and vim core (for both) are 6.3-r4.
>
> Hrm. Are we talking app-vim/colorschemes stuff here? If so, sync and
> upgrade.

Checked both systems, neither has colorschemes installed.  I guess if the
working one did and the failing one did not I could understand.

But I compared the /usr/bin/vi on both systems and, to my surprise, the
working system had vi as a link to vim but the failing system had an actual
vi executable (much smaller than vim).  Not sure what I had emerged to get
this, but I renamed it and put a link to vim in place and everything's
working as it should.

Thanks!