Ralph Slooten ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) scribbled:
> A. Khattri wrote:
> > Yes and no. While it will block most people, MAC addresses can be spoofed
> > anyway.
>
> Any idea how they could get your MAC address, or the only one the AP
> accepts? I don't think they would use brute force, but still don't know
> if it's possible to get too.

When wep is enabled, any machine in the vicinity with a wifi card in
promiscuous mode can still see the bssid, source mac, and dest mac of
traffic flowing through the AP.  Thus, they have the mac addresses that
are permitted.  They wait till you shut off that machine, and they have
access.  Assuming they have the wep key, which is trivial to retrieve.

Take a look at WPA authentication, not used much yet, so there are fewer
tools available for hacking it.  Plus, the tools are dictionary attacks,
which limits their effectiveness.

Honestly, if you are that concerned about it, switch to a wired network.

hth,

Cooper.