> > Now I'm wondering what you're trying to do.  Are you
> > trying to su to a user
>
> ??????? in user -> root, like I said!!!!!! If I'm
> already root where on earth could I su to? or why?

Su is just that - switch user.  I do it frequently from root to another
user, i.e. I want to test some changes that I made as root and want to see
what effect it has at a specific user/group level.

But that's neither here nor there.  I guess that you're saying when you do:

  [EMAIL PROTECTED] $ su

with no user, that's when you're getting the expired message, right?

Su has a couple of components that could possibly be interfering with the
process.  The first is pam; the file in /etc/pam.d/su has some doco that
plays a part and also speaks of other files that could also have some
effect.  You might want to check into those and ensure that the settings are
valid for what you are trying to do.