On Thu, 2005-03-24 at 17:13 -0800, Grant wrote:
> A little while ago Neil
Who's Neil? :-D

>  turned me on to quickpkg.  It sounds like a
> great way to protect yourself from the new package blues.

And you mean upgrades that didn't go smoothly??

> Is anyone
> using it like that?  What would be the best way to assure that your
> system always has a backup copy of your current version of a package
> available before emerging a new one?

You can do this by always making a copy of the packages you emerge.

Use the "buildpkg" directive in your make.conf's
FEATURE="buildpkg"

> Are there any types of packages
> or situations where this method of upgrade protection would fail?

Not that I know of. It's saved my hide a few times and not having to
wait 4 hours for xorg to rebuild is nice :-)

> - Grant

Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz
98% Microsoft(tm) Free!!
Neuromancer 10:54:51 up 1 day, 1:32, 5 users, load average: 0.52, 0.34,
0.30