I have an ASUS K8V-SE Deluxe (VIA 8237 southbridge), I confirm that the audio works perfectly - I even got surround out of it. But I use the onboard codec (AD1980) while I see that you have a SoundBlaster audio board, so I'm a bit confused by your configuration. Are you trying to use the VIA or the SB to get the sound?

Anyway, for teh VIA:
- have you loaded the right kernel modules (modprobe snd-via82xx, if memory serves)?
- have you unmuted the sound (I use alsamixer for that)?

BTW, is it really K8V-X? I did not find it on the Asus global site.

raffaele

Luigi Pinna wrote:
Hello!
I bought this new MB, that it is very similar to my old one (ASUS A7V600) and I installed a new Gentoo enviroment for the new CPU (the new one is a amd64).
The audio chipset is the same to the old one (VIA8237) but I don't see it the audio device.
In BIOS is enabled and I didn't find a jumper that can disable it.
This is the output of lspci:

0000:00:00.0 Host bridge: VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8385 [K8T800 AGP] Host Bridge (rev 01)
0000:00:0e.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB Live! EMU10k1 (rev 0a)
0000:00:0e.1 Input device controller: Creative Labs SB Live! MIDI/Game Port (rev 0a)

I read that my chiipset works gut in athlon64, what I do wrong?
Thanks,
Luigi