All right, I still can't boot the LiveCD even after discovering the "doataraid" parameter (didn't do anything) and switching my Linux disk from secondary master to primary slave, thinking that might do something. While booting Darik's Boot and Nuke (which is Linux-based), it told me that support for my drive controller (HPT372N) was experimental. Only one of my disks appeared, and it wasn't the one I needed erased.

I could probably get some more answers if I could capture the nofb kernel's output as it booted. Is there any way to send output to a printer, or at least have it pause after each page of text so I can read it? (I've only been able to make out "no known IDE timings," but that's not much help on its own.)

--
Colin