How do I compile RCP with support for very large files?

I have an Intel P4, with a Gentoo 2004.3 and with a 2.4.28-gentoo-r8 kernel compiled with support for large files. When I use rcp to transfer a large file (>3 GB) on a different machine I get a "file too large". However, I can scp exactly the same file to the exactly the same other machine, so I guess it is not a kernel issue.

I was looking for a USE flag related to support for large files and I found no one. `emerge -pv netmisc/netkit-rsh` shows only "pam" as a possible flag. How can I compile netmisc/netkit-rsh with support for very large files?

How I can be sure that everything have support for large files?

As a quick workaround, I copied over a scp binary from a RH 9 (and it worked!), but I really hate to patch Gentoo this way in the future.

Thanks