Group,
I've been monkeying around with metalog. Configuring and looking at init scripts. I'm finding that after a few starts and stops the normal /etc/init.d/metalog start/stop doens't work. I just get a message that metalog is already running. Asking for `stop' it reports `metalog not stopped'.

Checking /var/run... I see no pid for metalog
ps wwaux|grep metalog  doesn't turn up a daemon pid.

I had a similar thing happen with sendmail yesterday and finally rebooted to get it stopped and back on track to where /etc/init.d/sendmail start/stop/restart/status would work.

There must be a way to get metalog lined out without a reboot.
killall metalog doesn't do it either.