Okay.
So, I'm new to linux.  A dev bud of mine suggested that i do an
install of gentoo to begin my learning.  Issue is, I can't get into
the install interface.  My Gentoo Installation Livecd disk is in.  My
new harddrive is in and recognized.  so.

It says: "Gentoo Linux Installation LiveCD           http://gentoo.org
Enter to boot; F1 for kernels     F2 for options
boot:    "

so, I want the basic kernel.  I hit enter or type gentoo and hit enter.
it says:

Ready.
_ "

and the cursor blinks.   and blinks.   and blinks my
yearning-for-linux heart away.

This is something of an old box.  circa 1999 or so.  Used to run
WinNT.  It has a 160 gb HD (new) and the ATA/133 pci card needed for
the HD to recognise. 512ram, pentium3 processor.

Any more info on this or ideas working towards a solution are greatly
appriciated.
-phil