On Saturday 26 March 2005 05:02 am, PK wrote:
> Robert Crawford wrote:

> >>does nt work for me
> >>I unmerged the inject, added them to a non existent file called
> >>/etc/portage/package.mask and re did the emerge world
> >>zero nada :(
> >
> > I think what you're talking about is the file you need to create
> > called /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
> >
> > This serves the same pupose as --inject. For example, I added these
> > (among others) to my package.provided file ( I compiled alsa into the
> > kernel, and I don't want emerge to get the others).
> >
> > media-sound/alsa-driver-1.0.8
> > kde-base/kdegames-3.4.0
> > kde-base/kdeedu-3.4.0
> > kde-base/kdetoys-3.4.0
> >
> > you could also do:
> >>=kde-base/kdegames-3.4.0
> >
> > to never worry about that package on an emerge -u kde later on.
> >
> > --
>
> I shall give that a try
>
> thanks kindly

Now that I think about it a bit more, I'm not absolutely positive that adding
<= or >= as a prefix to"Whatever package" works in package.provided, as it
does in package.mask or unmask.  Instead, you might need a separate line for
each individual version of the specific package instead.

Additionally, if the package you want "injected" is also in your world file,
that will over-ride the entry in package.provided, so it won't work. You'll
need to either comment it out, or remove it from world.