> > I wanted to add to this that some fonts looks good and some do not.
> >
> >At cnn.com most of the fonts look bad, but the ones along the bar at
> >the bottom (International Edition, CNN TV, Advertise With Us, About
> >Us, etc.) are nice and smooth.  I will try emerging without the
> >bitmap-fonts USE flag and see how it goes.
> >

> Looks fine for me.
>
> Have you tried playing with firefox's font dialog...I use:
> Proportional: Sans Serif  Size 14
> Serif: New Century Schoolbook
> Sans-serif: sans-serif
> Monospace: monospace Size 14
> Display resolution: System setting  Minimum font size: 9
> Always use my:  (x) Fonts  ( ) Colors

> Here is some data from my system to compare against:
>
> carcharias root # emerge -v --pretend xorg-x11 mozilla-firefox corefonts
> freefonts urw-fonts
>
> These are the packages that I would merge, in order:
>
> Calculating dependencies ...done!
> [ebuild   R   ] x11-base/xorg-x11-6.8.2-r1  -3dfx -3dnow +bitmap-fonts
> -cjk -debug -dlloader -dmx -doc +font-server -hardened -insecure-drivers
> +ipv6 -minimal +mmx +nls +opengl +pam -sdk +sse -static +truetype-fonts
> +type1-fonts (-uclibc) -xprint +xv 0 kB
> [ebuild     U ] www-client/mozilla-firefox-1.0.2-r1 [1.0.1] -debug
> -gnome +java +ldap -mozdevelop -moznoxft -mozsvg -mozxmlterm -xinerama
> -xprint 31,992 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] media-fonts/corefonts-1-r2  +X 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] media-fonts/freefonts-0.10-r2  +X 0 kB
> [ebuild   R   ] media-fonts/urw-fonts-2.1-r2  +X 0 kB

> Notice that I built with bitmap fonts as well.  I use xfs (xfontserver),
> so my font path in xorg.conf is:
>
>         FontPath     "unix/:-1"

> My /etc/x11/fs/config file contains:
>
> #
> # X Font Server configuration file
> #
>
> # allow a max of 4 clients to connect to this font server
> #client-limit = 4
>
> # no tcp, use sockets!
> no-listen  =  tcp
>
> # when a font server reaches its limit, start up a new one
> clone-self = on
>
> # alternate font servers for clients to use
> #alternate-servers = foo:7101,bar:7102
>
> # where to look for fonts
> # Some of these are commented out, i.e. the TrueType and Type1
> # directories in /usr/share, because they aren't forced to be
> # installed alongside X.
> #
> catalogue = /usr/share/fonts/75dpi,
>         /usr/share/fonts/100dpi,
>         /usr/share/fonts/misc,
>         /usr/share/fonts/Type1,
>         /usr/share/fonts/Speedo,
>         /usr/share/fonts/CID,
>         /usr/share/fonts/util,
>         /usr/share/fonts/local,
>         /usr/share/fonts/Speedo,
>         /usr/share/fonts/truetype,
>         /usr/share/fonts/TTF,
>         /usr/share/fonts/cyrillic,
>         /usr/share/fonts/freefont,
>         /usr/share/fonts/sharefont,
>         /usr/share/fonts/default/Type1,
> [...]

emerging xorg-x11 without the bitmap-fonts USE flag fixes the problem.
 Fonts in Firefox look nice again.  It sounds like I should have that
flag enabled though.

In comparison to you, I don't have freefonts, corefonts, or urw-fonts
installed.  I am using the font server and my config file looks pretty
much like your's.  One thing though, my xorg.conf file has these font
paths:

        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc/"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/TTF/"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Speedo/"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1/"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/"
        FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/local/"

It sounds like that may be the wrong config considering the font server?

- Grant