Grant wrote:

| Where do you guys go when you want a barebones server for the closet?
| I've built machines before but it seems like it might make more sense
| to buy one these days.

Pick up an old Sun workstation off ebay. An ultra2 2x300/2 with a gig of
RAM is a good bet for most things, and they're dirt cheap these days.

That wouldn't be an x86 though right?

No, that's SPARC. If you're looking for something that'll fit in your closet, you may want to look into Mini-ITX or Nano-ITX (or Micro-ATX depending on the size of your closet). Motherboards of that size will fit nicely almost anywhere and are good for low-traffic servers.

--
Colin