I apologize, but I have gotten somewhat out of the loop, but in answer
to your question I think the other gentleman gave a great synopsis of
a difference b/w Snort and AIDE. I would like to make a suggestion. I
have had some experience working with a security manager who used
Snort, and it is a great program, providing that your snort.conf file
is tweaked properly, and a great way to organize the data that it
collects is to use Acid in conjunction with Snort.

That's my 2 cents.

Shawn