A. Khattri wrote:

>On Thu, 31 Mar 2005, Richard Fish wrote:
>

>>Microsoft makes online updating of XP sooo
>>easy....but there is no simple mechanism to store the updates for later
>>re-installations...or to tell the automatic updater to look/store them
>>in a particular directory.
>>

>What I do is burn the latest service packs onto a CD. When setting up a
>new machine you can install the service packs after the main install and
>then go online to get updates.

Well, I had the latest SP (XP SP1a, at the time, it was back in Nov/Dec
203) on an external USB harddrive, so I had no problem to install that.
But I really needed the security updates.   IIRC, there was some massive
internet worm attacking windows PCs for weeks on end.  I can't remember
the name of it.

Things might be better today with SP2 and the firewall, but I think I'll
stick with Gentoo...

-Richard