Dave Nebinger wrote:

NOTE: Making the changes I suggest below may impact your system (especially
by changing the CHOST).  If you choose to make them be sure to "emerge
--emptytree system" at least and probably the world as well.

My make.conf has
CHOST="i386-pc-linux-gnu"

use CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"

OK.

What does CHOST do?

CFLAGS="-O2 -mcpu=i686 -fomit-frame-pointer"

Clearly -mcpu=i686 is depreciated.  What -march setting is good?

use CFLAGS="-O2 -march=pentium4 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"

OK.  What does -pipe do?

The toolchain is the critical part of any unix system; a misconfig on one of
the components can crop up in all kinds of weird and funky places at weird
and funky times.

I'm also going to guess that you do not have the nptl use flag defined in
make.conf; if you do not, add the nptl use flag as the nptl threads
currently receive more development support than the older threads.  With
your P4 they will have a better performance profile as well.

You're right, didn't have nptl defined...  (non posix threads ?)

Thanks.

I'll  emerge --emptytree system and let you know what happens.

But before I begin, if something unexpected and interesting happens I won't lose my system will I?

Leo