So what do I do if something fails when I emerge all this stuff? Is my server going to go down? I am just wondering if there is anything I can do to protect myself from downtime and errors. I did a pretend emerge and there are a TON of dependencies

Nick Rout wrote:

man emerge

--buildpkgonly (-B)
             Creates binary packages for all ebuilds processed without
actually merging  the  packages. This comes with the caveat that all
build-time dependencies must already be emerged on the system.