There is Gentoo-embedded project and a mailing list, you definitely want
to check that out.

As for the cheap, low power platforms, these two companies have cheap
and promising boxes:
- Soekris: http://www.soekris.com/
- WRAP: http://www.pcengines.ch/

Linksys WRT54G is one of the of-the-shelf boxes that can be hacked with
new software loads, too.

I have no experience with Gentoo-based implementation (uclibc/busybox
hardened kernel is a dream) on one of these boxes, sorry.

Aleksandar