Hey all,

His experience is pretty interesting...

Does portage keep track of settings so that you don't have reconfigure
it everytime you do an upgrade of a package? In other words, if (for
example) I emerge apache and it reconfigured to serve webs from
/var/www/html, instead of /usr/local/htdocs/ would portage get updated
with that new information?

Portage is pretty "smart" especially in comparison to other software
management tools (up2date, and mandrake update)...so I wouldn't be
surprised if it did.