On Apr 5, 2005 4:24 AM, Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> FATAL: Error inserting snd_es18xx
> (/lib/modules/2.6.11-gentoo-r5/kernel/sound/isa/snd-es18xx.ko): No such
> device
First off, instead of using isapnp tools try the ISA PnP  built in kernel 2.6.
This _should_ get your card going without dumping & uncomenting anything.

As for the ES1869....
I have a card witch shows in windows 98 as ES1887 but runs on the module
ES688 (or similar, dont have the source...). Give that one a try.

[OT] A note about ALSA.
ALSA disappionted me greatly. A week ago I moved my home
server to a new box, intel i810 mainboard video,audio integrated.
When trying to get the integrated crappy AC97 to work
ALSA produced terrible noise. The sound card was TOTALLY unusable.
After moving back to OSS, card runs smoothly, no noise, nothing!
Wierd ...

--
Regards
Karol Krzak