Hi

I use apache2 and mod_perl; I would like to setup a lightweight server (the default one on port 80) and a mod_perl enabled server (on the same machine) for processing the actual perl stuff.

If I screw up perl I still have the static stuff available. There are also a series of benefits like speedups and reduced memory usage under loads... All these issues are well documented by the mod_perl folks in their docs.

#ifdef WHAT_I_WOULD_DO

Intuitively I would make a copy of /etc/apache2/conf named /etc/apache2/perlconf (maybe) to hold the configuration of my perl enabled apache.

I would modify the copied configuration files so:

1. The server waits on a different port say 2080.
2. I don't think I want to server "light" pages so I would delete all configuration defining the manual, server-info, server-status...
3. I would redefine the default server page so the browser automatically redirects to the normal port.
4. Specify a new destination for the logs.

I would copy /etc/conf.d/apache2 to /etc/conf.d/perlapache2 and /etc/init.d/apache2 to /etc/init.d/perlapache2

Modify /etc/init.d/perlapache2 and /etc/conf.d/perlapache2 use new a new pid file and set apache up so it starts using the perlconf apache configurations.

A reverse proxy setup will be required in apache2/conf so specific page requests get proxied to my perl enabled server.

And naturally the perl enabled server needs to be configured specifically to serve those proxied requests.

#endif

Is there a preferred *Gentoo* way setup this up?

Any suggestions, pitfalls alerts, or comments are welcome.

TIA

Leo