Nick Smith wrote:
sorry i havent been keeping up with the list as much as i should
so i dont know if this has been addressed or not.

i recently did an emerge -uD on my gentoo laptop, its been
several months since this has been done, it said that sysvinit
was blocking something from being installed, so i thought to
myself that the emerge would either install a new copy or it was
being replaced my another package, so i unmerged it to continue
with my emerge.  well everything went great until i rebooted,
now all i get is a "sh#" prompt when it boots and when i try to
edit anything it says i only have a read only file system and i
cant change anything.  is my system totally hosed? or is there a
way to recover from this? i would hope i dont have to reinstall
from scratch it took me a while to get this laptop going.

thanks for any and all help

Nick

you can try:

#mount -oremount,ro /
#etc-update
#reboot

be carefully with etc-update (or dispatch-conf)
good luck

--
No problem is so formidable that you can't walk away from it.
~ Charles M. Schulz