If I run 'fsck -n /dev/hda3'  I'm told that there are some errors:

  fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
  e2fsck 1.35 (28-Feb-2004)
  Warning!  /dev/hda3 is mounted.
  /dev/hda3 was not cleanly unmounted, check forced.
  Inode 131170, i_blocks is 64, should be 8.  Fix? no

  Inode 131212, i_blocks is 64, should be 8.  Fix? no

etc...

However, /dev/hda3 is mounted as my root filesystem, so it's not
simply a case of unmounting it to run fsck to fix the errors.

I've tried booting of the Gentoo boot disk, but when I do that fsck
tells me there are no errors on that partition.

Why the difference?
How do I fix the errors?
Why does fsck tell me that the drive wasn't cleanly unmounted? (I
always shutdown and restarted the system properly)

Not sure it's relevant, but just in case, the start of my /etc/fstab is:

/dev/hda3               /               ext2            noatime
         1 1
/dev/hda1               /boot           ext2            noauto,noatime
         1 2
/dev/hda2               none            swap            sw
         0 0

--
Dave.