I am not talking about coasters, but the scsi emulation loops one has to
jump through,  long howtos that are so generic they leave the average
user groping in the dark.  Kernel devs having arguments with the
developer of the main cd burning tool and not sitting down and mapping a
way forward so the user is left having to burn as root, or using patches
designed to bypass the problem.  Some ways to address a burner used DMA,
some dont allow it.  Some systems can use /dev/hdX, some require magick
in the form of /dev/cdroms/cdrom0, others as ATAPI:0,0,0 but not all are
equal and not all will work depending on kernel and software versions.

Then if you sort it out and finally get burning again, you upgrade the
kernel and find it doesnt work, so you start again ...

Then there's the software itself - I used to like gcombust, simple
reliable and it worked - then it couldnt deal with the non-scsi stuff.
Then I found nautilus-cd-burner - great for the quick job.  The kernel
mess cured me of that (I will go back to it when it starts working
again).   I have now settled on k3b, but I wonder how long that will
keep working ...

This is worse on gentoo than systems like Mandrake and redhat because
their philosophy allows them to modify the upstream software for their
users in ways that are difficult for gentoo to do (i.e., patch around
the kernel nonsense which I presume they have done because CD burning
just seems to work for them.  I setup my first burner in the Mandrake 6
days - that was a nightmare!  They now simplify things for their users -
I am not saying gentoo should go this route, but cd-burning has far to
much black magic involved at the moment.

Sorry if I sound a bit bitter, but this is a real pain for the average
user (gentoo or otherwise).  And dont say if you tweak this and tune
that it will work, thats bunk, of course I do that I do that, and it
will work, but not for long.  Its fixing the whole CD burning mess thats
needed.

BillK

--
William Kenworthy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>