Zander Z365 wrote:

>It always shows 3401.482 for cpu Mhz.  Even after I change the frequency.

I did some experimenting on my system today, and saw the same problem.
It seems if you build an smp kernel that /proc/cpuinfo never updates.
But I don't think it matters, because
/sys/devices/system/cpu/cpu0/cpufreq/scaling_cur_freq does get updated
with the correct value, and the system behaves like cpufreq is working:

My time tests below were for decompressing and re-compressing (bzip2 -9)
the /usr/portage/distfiles/linux-2.6.11.tar.bz2 tarball.

With an smp/smt kernel:
Freq       Max Temp (C)  Time(s)
3000Mhz        52          80.29
1500Mhz        49         150.82

With a up kernel:
Freq       Max Temp (C)  Time(s)
3000Mhz        52          77.38
1500Mhz        49         145.10

So, the temperature, fan speed, and performance is lower at 1500Mhz than
3000Mhz, regardless of SMP/SMT support.  But in every case with the SMP
kernel (even booting with the 'nosmp' option), /proc/cpuinfo continues
to report 3Ghz.

-Richard