Good afternoon,

Well......

Last night I attempted to resize a few partitions from my Suse install
to make room for Gentoo. I booted off a Knoppix CD, ran qtparted to
resize /dev/hda2 (/boot, it wasn't mounted),  and rebooted to do some
other work. Didn't boot. Instead brought me to a grub prompt at which
point I am pretty clueless. I booted back into Knoppix and mounted
/dev/hda2 under /mnt. The top-level directory seems fine, but the grub
subdirectory is corrupted. An ls of grub shows Input/Output error. I'm
not sure of the wording as I'm at work right now and was too stupid to
write it down. I unmounted /dev/hda and attempted an fsck. Reported that
the superblock was something like 127000 and the physical size was like
20000. Way different. The original resize was from 1GB down to 100MB,
with only 32 MB being used. I aborted the fsck after the first question
because I was not sure how to proceed.

I'm leaning toward just wiping all partitions except /home and just
going straight to Gentoo, unless there is a fairly painless mechanism
for recovery. Bye the way, the original / (root) partition, which
contains everything else, is intact and everything there is accessible.

Thanks,
John

--
It is not unusual for those at the wrong end of the club to have a
clearer picture of reality than those who wield it.