Recently switched from using ext3 (under fedora)  to reiserfs (under
gentoo).

I'm noticing what seems to be really long processing times for certain
file manipulation chores.

Examples might be `du -sh' against several hundred MB or `rm -rf' in
same manner.  I didn't think to time the du part below but you can see
what seems like a lengthy processing time for rm -rf.

This is on an older P4 2ghz machine.

I didn't see any abnormally heavy operations underway during this
example so probably about normal number of processes and cpu being
used by other processes.

  root #  du -sh .snapshots
  381M    .snapshots

  root # time rm -rf .snapshots

  real    1m42.234s
  user    0m0.180s
  sys     0m9.696s

Almost 2 minutes to rm -rf a few hundred MB.  I don't have an ext3 fs
to test against anymore but wondering if this is abnormally slow for
reiserfs.