Today, my mouse has gone wacky.  Previously I had a fine working Gentoo/X11
system on my Dell I8600.  A week ago, upgraded my profile, and updated the
system, including switching to udev. I had no problem for the last week, so I
believe that all worked well.

Today, I did another update ("emerge -uavD world"), and started to muck with
user-mode linux.  This did necessitate a rebuild of my kernel, and a reboot.
When I was done, my pointer is wacky.

"Wacky" mean the pointer is largely "stuck" near the bottom left corner of the
display.   Any attempt to move it generates a great deal of flashing of the
pointer.  When I start X, the pointer appears dead center of the screen,
until I touch the touchpad at which point it jumps to the bottom left area of
the screen.

I've reviewed what was emerged, and I don't think anything is likely to have
caused this problem.  I've tried changing my config to not use the synaptics
drive, but that had no effect.

Any ideas?
David