What I had to do was ::
mirrorselect -i -o > <somedir/somefilename>
(the '-i' in there makes an interactive screen where you get to select servers yourself)
choose the servers I wanted, and then find all the IPv6 stuff and remove it, mostly by seeing something about ipv6 somewhere in the names themselves.
Then I re-ordered the list to put known &/or nearby servers first in the list.
Then I inserted the resulting list in place of the "GENTOO_MIRRORS" line in make.conf. Worked like a charm, after I sweated like a bum to choose servers & cleanup the ipv6 stuff.

rgh.