My first 'update world' seems to have complete sucessfully, having
overcome the mozilla sensitifity to environment settings and the mysterious
file size discrepency of my RealPlayer-10.0.3.748-20050223.i586.rpm
file...

That just left the protected directory file updates, all of which
seemed straight forward except for an update that was provided
for /etc/modules.d/alsa as follows:
        diff alsa ._cfg0000_alsa
        17d16
        < alias snd-card-0 snd-emu10k1
        21d19
        < alias sound-slot-0 snd-card-0

It looks to me like that would just remove my customization for
the local hardware, which I would expect would have stopped my
sound card from working....

Or has there been some change that makes that configuration
information obsolete?

Is it safe/wise to decide to discard one of the update files
like this?

Regards,
DigbyT
--
Digby R. S. Tarvin                                             [EMAIL PROTECTED]
http://www.digbyt.com