Neil Bothwick wrote:

The problem with LG drives was limited to CD-RW drives. It wasn't
particularly related to Mandrake, but a specific kernel version, that
Mandrake used in the initial 10.0 release.

Ah indeed... But it still worries me... this isn't a cheap investment is it? :)

Having said that, I'd go with Sony. You know you are getting good
quality with them, whereas any company that uses a standard CD writing
command to erase firmware is deserving of a wide berth.

I was thinking of Sony too... But the problem is that there is considerable difference in price, which honestly, is something i really need to consider. So, in that case, if there aren't any problems, I'd rather choose LG.

Also, my friend has an LG drive, which he says is working quite well. That's with Windows of course. He has Debian too... I'll be asking him later tonight when he gets home, how it works with Debian...

Let's see...

Thanks for the replies guys,
Mrugesh