try

emerge info

to see what the end result of all the files.

Also remember you have stackable (is that the name? its late) profiles.

your profile is in

/u/p/p/default.linux/x86/2005.0

but note the "parent" file in there, this contains a single entry: ".."
- this means that everything in the directory above is also part of the
profile. And guess what, so does the dir above have a parent file. And
so on. so the make.defaults files in each of the included directories
may add something to the profile.

emerge info is a far easier way of seeing the end result!

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>