Right, everything except mii-tool (which apparently can't understand
1000Mbps) says 1000Mbps.

ok. what I want to say is that mii-tool is knowen to report the wrong speed for all/some Gbit cards (just for the case of missunderstanding).

Your setup seems to be fine. It's worth to try ping (floodping with increasing packet size):

$ ping -f -s $SIZE target

SIZE is default 56. SIZE=1480 comes close to MTU and 65507 is the biggest possible size.

You can messure the bandwidth with iptraf/iftop on the linux-side. With a small SIZE you get your max. packets/sec (iptraf) but with increasing SIZE bits/sec should also increase.

ping -f should have no (increasing) packet lose (see man ping).

Right. I'm familiar with speeds too. When it was connected an FTP
session would get about 9MB/s then slow to 8 or so, then stay there.
This is exactly the behavior i'm seeing now.

The bandwidth depends on the networkcard you are using and the CPU you have. Take a look on both sides CPUs. Both (NIC+CPU) reflects in CPU load. In linux use top/vmstat (be aware of user/system load when testing FTP). FTP-Performance depends heavily on the FTP-Server you use (vsftpd is a good one used by kernel.org).

Sascha.