Hi there!

I've done exactly this for quite some time. And I even implemented
something resembling a program to do it for me, without the need for
locking or other more advanced functionality. Ran it automatically
every night, without supervision, and it worked fine for me.

If you're interested, there's some old code here:

http://carlscrona.se/~mavar/projects/emerge_thread/emerge_thread_page.htm

No guarantees and blah, blah, blah... ;)

Regards,

/Magnus

On 4/23/05, Eric S. Johansson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> last time I checked, one could not do two or more emerges at the same
> time.  Which raises the question would be OK to do an emerge fetch in
> one process and a straight emerge on the same set of files on a second?
>   The rationale behind this is that if you can be fetching files prior
> to the time you need them, it might make the build process faster since
> you're now taking advantage of "parallel" operations.
>
> Of course, in order to do it correctly, there would need to be a per
> package lock in order to make sure that only one process was
> fetching/using the package at a time and to block package compilation
> when necessary.
>
> so, is as possible?
>
> ---eric
>
> --
> http://www.wired.com/wired/archive/13.03/view.html?pg=5
>
> The result of the duopoly that currently defines "competition" is that
> prices and service suck. We're the world's leader in Internet
> technology - except that we're not.
> --

Me code, you bug.
 - Famous last words in Foo bar