On Mon, 2005-04-25 at 22:17 +1000, Devraj Mukherjee wrote:
> I am not sure if this is the right forum to discuss ideas for emerge,
> and for all I know this features may already exists in the current
> versions of emerge but I thought I'd take a chance and write down my
> idea anyway.
>
> 1. Emerge with a time delay, so that one can specify big emerge tasks
> for say midnight for proper bandwidth usage etc. I know you can do this
> with a combination of utilites (such as cron) but it would be neat to
> have it as part of emerge.
>
> 2. Background downloading, of packages while emerge compiles other
> packages. For example when I am compiling something huge like GNome,
> while a package like GTK is being compiled, emerge should be clever and
> download the next package and save time.
>
> If these ideas are of some use I hope someone can send it to the right
> people, and obviously if they require any help with coding (which I am
> sure they dont) I am happy to contribute.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] nick $ sudo emerge ideas
Calculating dependencies
emerge: there are no ebuilds to satisfy "ideas".

seriously though,

1. timed events:

one off/casual, use "at"
regular, cron

Although others have said that, its important to know that "This is the
unix way" i.e. small programs/daemons chained together. It would be
heresy to put timed/regular emergeing into portage, when unix provides
at and cron and scripting languages.

2. emergeing with background download.

emerge -f[other parameters] world

move to another xterm/console

emerge [other parameters] world

make sure locks are enabled, then if the compiling instance catches up
to the downloading instance, it will wait for the download to finish.

--
Nick Rout <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>