Hi NG,

I try to get my external USB2.0 HDD working with my Gentoo-System with Kernel 2.6.11-r6.

With Knoppix 3.3 there are no problems, there it is working good.

But not with Gentoo! An USB stick which I also connect to my System works fine with my self-compiled kernel. The stick is on /dev/sda, and I use udev to use it as /dev/usbstick. I compiled all Modules for USB Storage into the kernel, also ohci, uhci and ehci. I have no USB2.0 support on my Mainboard (only USB1.1), so I plugged a PCI-Card with USB2.0-support into my System.

When I connect the external storage to my computer /var/log/messages syas:

Apr 27 19:50:44 neon usb 5-2: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd
and address 25

But there is no /dev/sdb (or /dev/sda if the stick is not connected) so
udevinfo -a -p /sys/block/sdb gives no infos.

Anybody any idea? How can I figure out what "thing" is diffrent between the Knoppix 3.3 kernel and my self-compiled kernel?