Claudinei Matos schrieb:

Hi guys,

I'm own a Intel se7210tp1-e with a onboard Intel 6300ESB Raid Controller w/ two
80GB disks
Well, I'm new to this hardware RAID things. My doubt is the follow:

I've booted gentoo 2005.0 live-cd and when I typed "fdisk -l" I've got two disks printed:
sda and sdb

If your raid shows both drives under linux, instead of one drive, then it is not a true hardware raid.
It is then a hardware raid which need os software support for the raid function.

SATA raid is a little strange with kernel 2.6 and gentoo doesn't seem to fully support it yet.
As of kernel 2.6 there is a new block device manager called "device mapper".
The device mapper is used to support this type of raid controler.

Using a tool called "dmraid" you can have the RAID information read out of the disks,
and dmraid will construct the device mapper devices which allow you to use the raid as such.
After booting a 2005.0 livecd, you can check to see if running "dmsetup ls" shows you a raid device.

If so, then the dmraid command and device mapper on the 2005.0 livdcd supports your controler.
The dmraid on the 2005.0 livecd has some know problems. The version on the cd is 1.0.0.rc6.
Specifically, sometimes it shows the capacitly of RAID 1 devices being less then what it is.
Usually by a factor of two. ie 2 x 80GB in RAID 1 makes 80GB, however you end up with only 40GB in your raid.
If this is the case, you can't simply use the normal livecd to install.
There is a newer version of the "dmraid" tool. (1.0.0.rc7) which however fixes this.

Look at the following links for help.
http://tienstra4.flatnet.tudelft.nl/~gerte/gen2dmraid/
http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-258981.html

If you have a controler which has the about problem with RAID 1, let me know.
I already have my own livecd which fixes this.

Good Luck!

-Scott