Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:

>Walter Dnes wrote:
>

>>  KDE uses the artsd sound daemon.  Have you configured artsd properly?
>>

>Whether artsd is properly configured or no... I would never wager on it, but
>I think it's OK.  Everything works great with a 2.6.9 kernel, but not
>2.6.11.
>
>In trying to isolate the problem, I went into KDE and turned off arts
>(Control Center -> Sound & Multimedia -> Sound System -> Enable the Sound
>System (uncheck), hit the apply button).  On reboot, I do the following
>sequence...
>
>1. Power On.
>2. Boot a 2.6.11 kernel into single user.  (Grub:
>kernel /kernel-2.6.11-suspend2-9 root=/dev/hda10 video=vesafb vga=0x305
>resume2=/dev/hda6 s)
>3. In single user mode: # /etc/init.d/alsasound start
>4. # aplay /usr/share/games/tuxracer/sounds/tux_hit_tree1.wav
>5. I hear the sound of tux hitting the tree.
>6. # init 3 (includes kdm starting)
>7. As root or normal user: $
>aplay /user/share/games/tuxracer/shounds/tux_hit_tree1.wav
>8. Again, poor tux.
>9. Log in to KDE (remember, artsd is turned off)
>10. No sound.  Neither aplay nor xmms via ALSA... nothing.
>11. Here, I can fix it with $ sudo hibernate
>12. Or, I can break it until the next boot with: # /etc/init.d/alsasound
>restart (Honest, when I do that it stays broke)

When you say "no sound", do you mean you (1) get an error, or (2) does
aplay hang, or (3) does everything seem to work right and you just get
no sound?  If (3), is it possible that bad volume settings are being
restored by KDE?  What happens if you just run alsamixer and adjust the
volume levels?

-Richard