hi everybody,

i'm a new gentoo user and i encountered following problem:

my computer is amd64 on abit ax8 mobo, installation started at stage2. i put root on mirrored sata (raid1) disks. kernel compiled ok, i performed all steps described in the installation guide with the modifications described in the wiki:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Gentoo_Install_on_Software_RAID
i am quite sure that all the necessary drivers (namely raid1) are compiled into the kernel. after reboot, kernel detects the hw. sets up the raid drives, but then:

checking root file system ...
ext2fs_check_if_mount: No such file or directory while determining whether /dev/md0 is mounted
fsck.ext3:No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/md0
/dev/md0:
The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2 filesystem...
Filesystem couldn't be fixed.

after it, it asks for root password for maintenance. i checked /dev and it doesn't have any of the md* nodes.
i found similar error while googling the web, but no solution to the problem was given...

few lines above the error i can see:
Configuring system to use udev
Populating /dev with device nodes
/sbin/rc: line 248: cannot redirect standard input from /dev/null: No such file or directory
can this be related?

mounted filesystems in my fstab are in the following order:
proc
tmpfs
swap1
swap2
hda     cdrom
fd0     floppy
md0     /
md1     /home

i'd be very grateful if someone could help me with this...

thanks in advance. regards,

--
Lubos
[EMAIL PROTECTED]"