On 5/2/05, Neil Walker <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Yes. A lot of stuff simply will not compile with it. The rest tend to
> produce large and slow executables. I wouldn't use it for anything yet.
> 3.4.x is the best to date.

Are there any evidence of said bloat and poor performance with 4.0 or
do you base it on hearsay? :-)

I studied a lot of assembly output on the pre-release versions of 4.0
and the optimizer has really improved compared to the older series.

I would imagine stuff not compiling is mostly because the C++ standard
has moved considerably over the last years, and a lot of software
which caters for GCC 2.95 isn't well-formed given the latest revision
of the standard.

That said, it usually takes a minor revision (i.e. 4.1) before a
compiler is generally usable for a distro. I remember all the breakage
when GCC 3.0 was introduced..

// Andreas