On Sat, 2005-04-30 at 10:22 -0600, Kiawud wrote:
> On 4/30/05, timothy johnson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > I have been running Gentoo on a Dell 8100 for a while now. I have my
> > volume buttons working, but a couple of updates ago they quit working,
> > wondering if anyone might know about how to fix this? and also one of
> > two updates ago I lost control of my volume from Gnome. yet gkrellm2
> > and xmms both still are able to control the volume???
> >
> > --
> >

> Not sure if this will help, but I use 'xbindkeys' to control my
> volume/xmms via keyboard hotkeys.
>
> Basically, I installed 'xbindkeys' then use 'xbindkeys -k' to find out
> the control codes for the hotkeys.  Then I just bind them to something
> like 'amixer set PCM +3' (to increase volume).

I have this same issue.. I'm gonna presume you use Gnome because I face
this under Gnome. (not a KDE person)

Anyway.. as the story goes.. it was

1. Worked
2. Update
3. Stopped Working
4. Update
5. Working again

what was the update?? AS far as I can tell it was gst-plugins and all
the other things that comes with it.

Now running gnome-volume-control will not spit out a bunch of errors
upon startup and finally presents me with a mixer. (it used not to)

As of yesterday, when it pulled in the new bunch of gst-plugins etc, it
started working again.

--
Ow Mun Heng
Gentoo/Linux on DELL D600 1.4Ghz