Hello,
I have an idea to control a hydraulic system with software. Now I would
like some suggestions for hardware and software. Sorry for my bad
english, but I barely know what these things mean in swedish yet. I have
never done anything like this before.

This is what I have:
A device that can be moved up and down with a lever that affects a
hydraulic valve. There is a marker on the moving device. This marker
moves along a fixed scale, so that the height of the device can be read.
The lever can be pulled in 2 directions, to move the device up and down
respectively.
I often have to adjust the device to certain heights. That is a tedious
task, because the scale is not so easy to read, and it is not easy to
get good precision with the lever.

What I want:
I want to set the height numerically and have a program that adjusts the
device to that height. All equipment that is attached to the device must
resist vibrations, and preferrably also dust, sunlight and rain. The
precision should be 1 mm and the measurement range something like 0 m to 1 m

My idea:
A sensor that senses the height, a computer controlled hydraulic valve
and a program. I have found a sensor at
http://www.parallax.com/dl/docs/prod/acc/PingDocs.pdf and I think I can
do the necessary programming. I would like to connect this to a laptop
with Gentoo, which has USB, IEEE1394, pccard and ethernet available. The
cable may have to be 10 m long to keep the laptop away from the
unfriendly environment.

If you have done anything like this before, or know where I can find
more information or know about some more specialized mailing list, I
would appreciate your suggestions.