Hi,
   While this is not specifically a Gentoo issue I will ask here as
the group is quite technical. Thanks in advance.

   I understand the basic history and function of system BIOS from a
high level perspective fairly well. I understand how system BIOS was
quite important when the x86 architecture was first created and that
it's still important today as the machine boots. My questions are:

1) After my machines are running Gentoo is system BIOS still being
used in ANY way? Please assume P4/Athlon XP level machines.

2) If my machines are depending on system BIOS is there a way for me
to tell what calls are being made to system BIOS, or at least
understanding what parts of system BIOS Linux is using?

   This question is not intended to be related to video BIOS or
anything that might be located on a VGA card of some type.

Thanks,
Mark